Sunday, January 5, 2014

In Sickness And In Health

I stared into the depth of the porcelain god's mouth, my stomach churning miserably, waiting for the next onset of vomiting. Waiting, waiting, waiting. My impatience took hold and my finger slid down my throat, just to get it over with faster. Mia clapped, the background noise to my retching. "Get the fuck outta here," i whispered to her as soon as i had the chance to breathe. "This is no place for you. I'm not doing this voluntarily."
"Or are you?" she asked. "It could be your body subconsciously taking over and telling you that you need me."
I shook my head violently, which caused another upheaval. It couldn't really be that, could it? She didn't have a point; no, that was ridiculous... but somehow, for the past week, i did always throw up after i ate anything, though i didn't mean to. "No, it's just an ulcer or something of the sort," i murmured to myself, pretending that i knew what i was talking about as the room spun dizzily out of control and i laid down next to the toilet, shivering on the cold tile floor.
I heard a sharp cracking sound to my right, where Mia had been standing. I tried to open my eyes, but couldn't manage to do so, so i just listened. Ana was here now, telling Mia to get away from her girl. Normally, i would have protested that i wasn't a possession to be claimed by either of them, but i was too weak and exhausted to say a word. I heard Mia walking slowly away, sniffling. Ana must have slapped her really good to get her to give up so easily. Then Ana was by my side, rubbing my back with her bony hands. "There, there," she crooned, covering me with a nice warm blanket, "it'll all be all right. We'll get you back on track. Fluids only for today, and then after that, nothing but raw foods until you start feeling a bit better. Hang in there. We'll get you all fixed up."
I didn't know if her plan sounded like a good one or a terrible one, but i was in no position for an argument, or even a simple analogy to see if it was worthy of an argument. I just nodded and wrapped the blanket tightly around my shoulders.

...Today is water only day. I'm not sick all the time; only directly after i eat, and until all i've eaten is gone. Tomorrow i guess i'm eating nothing but raw foods for as long as possible. Wish me luck and health...

1 comment:

  1. Stupid Ana, raw foods are harder for us to make use of than cooked. Cooking makes the nutrients more easily available. If we were meant to subsist on raw foods then our digestive tract would bee three times the size it is now and our appendix would still have a use!

    I hop you feel better soon. I hate when the stomach plays up. Tea and juices too, ok? If your puking your electrolytes will get out of whack so much faster without them. (Mum always gave us flat lemonade when we got gastro. Not quite so nasty to puke and we kept hydrated)

    Love you <3

    ReplyDelete